The perfect drink for this season that’s actually good for you!
It’s currently pouring down with rain. The rain may be light but it’s enough to make the skies grey and for the air to be very cold. I’m currently snuggled under a warm duvet, enjoying a freshly made cup of turmeric milk. I know, I know. The words “turmeric” and “milk” seems like an unlikely pairing, but honestly they go together like bread and butter.
I’ve been drinking this golden elixir for years. I can’t remember who introduced it to me, but someone definitely did. I don’t think anyone ever wakes up and says “you know what, turmeric milk sounds like a great idea…” For me, it’s one of those things that you get into because someone you trust recommended it to you.
The first time I had it, I was feeling poorly and was coming down with a nasty virus. I had it in the evening before bed and it was so comforting, delicious, and not at all what I expected (milk with pepper?! Who would have thought!). I felt so much better after drinking it. Not surprising considering that turmeric has long been regarded for its anti-inflammatory benefits.
So here it is – the perfect drink for this season. I highly recommend giving it a try at least once.
Turmeric Milk Recipe
Makes 1 perfect cup
1 cup milk (this recipe works with almond or soy milk too if you prefer that)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon grated ginger
Dash of pepper
½ teaspoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon Manuka honey
Your favourite mug
- In a saucepan, add the almond milk, turmeric powder, grated ginger, pepper, coconut oil, and honey. Basically add all the ingredients, no matter how strange they all sound together. I promise they taste good together!
- Bring to a gentle boil, keeping the setting to ‘low’. Whisk it carefully so the turmeric power doesn’t clump together.
- While your beautiful golden concoction is brewing, grab your favourite mug and a tiny sieve. Get it ready for goodness!
- After around 7 minutes, your milk should be ready!
- Pour it up! I use a sieve to get the remnants of ginger and turmeric powder because I like my drink to be quite smooth.
- Enjoy it while it’s hot!
I personally like to drink this before bed, while I’m winding down after a busy day. Also because it’s quite sweet, I find that I crave desserts less after dinner because I know I’ll be having such a yummy and healthy tonic.