Mother’s Day is just around the corner! Here’s an easy breakfast that you can whip up for the special mother figures in your life.
To make it a bit more decadent, I’ve used brioche burger buns. Ummm, YUM.
Tip: to ensure that the French toast holds its shape, you need to use stale burger buns/bread. I had to buy mine fresh as those delicious brioche buns don’t last long in my house! A little tip is to bake the buns in the oven for about 20-30 minutes on 180 degrees or until toasted. I did this the night before so that it was already for making breakfast for my loved one!
- 4 stale brioche hamburger buns, cut in half
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tbsp good quality vanilla extract
- Butter and oil for frying
- Whisk the eggs until they are very well combined. Add in the milk, sugar and vanilla.
- Pour the egg mixture into a shallow dish or slice tin. Soak each side of the bun for no more than 1 minute, starting with the cut side down.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick fry pan over a medium heat. Using a combination of butter and oil will ensure that the butter doesn’t burn.
- Fry the buns on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with maple syrup and/or your choice of toppings
- Bacon and berries
- Chopped bananas, chopped roasted walnuts and cream
- With a little homemade cinnamon sugar (mix cinnamon and caster sugar together)
- A combination of all the above!