SPCA Cup Cake Day is now SPCA Treat Week!
Sign up here : https://www.spca.nz/news-and-events/event/treat-week-2023
From 12-18 June, join us for Treat Week, a week-long extravaganza full of deliciousness for everyone, especially our furry friends!
Our resident Food Guru Albie shared with us her Animal Biscuit recipe!
- 125g butter
- 110g white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 280g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 160C and line oven trays with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and creamy, mix in egg and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and combine to make a soft dough. Leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Place the dough on floured bench and roll out thinly. Use cutters to cut into desired shapes. You can use the leftover dough and re-roll to make more shapes.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden. Leave to cool, at least 20 minutes.
- While the biscuits are baking, make the royal icing (see recipe)
- 1 egg white
- 250 grams sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Food colouring and sprinkles, if desired
- Use and electric mixer to mix the egg whites until they are light and fluffy.
- Sift in the icing sugar, add the lemon juice, mix on low speed to start
- Beat at high speed until combined and smooth
- Add food colouring liquid or gel and mix
- Add more lemon juice or icing sugar to reach desired consistency
- Fill a piping bag and use a very small nozzle or cut off a tiny bit of the corner. Pipe around the edge of the biscuit before filling in the middle. Top with sprinkles if desired.
Thanks Albie of this epic recipe!