Hey everyone, welcome to today’s Friday Favourites. I hope you have all had a fantastic week. Stay tuned because we have a whole new list of our favourite finds to share!
Spotlight On: Justine Skye
Hailing from Brooklyn, New York, Justine Skye is the next big thing in R&B.
Having just signed a deal with Roc Nation and Republic records, she is currently working on a highly anticipated album which is rumoured to be released next year. Have a listen to her single ‘Bandit’ below.
Recipe of the Week: Zucchini Lasagne
If you are looking for a healthier alternative to your favourite pasta dish, try this Zucchini based recipe!
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- In a large straight-sided skillet set over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 8 minutes. Add the turkey and cook, breaking up any large pieces with the back of a spoon, until brown throughout, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until it thickens, about 20 minutes. Stir in the oregano and salt. Let cool.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into thin strips (about 1/8 inch thick). Put 5 or 6 zucchini slices, overlapping slightly, in the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Top with 1 cup of the sauce. Dot with 1/4 cup of the ricotta. Repeat the layers twice, alternating the direction of the zucchini. Top with the remaining zucchini and brush the top with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon oil. Dot with the remaining 1/4 cup ricotta and season with the black pepper. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the lasagna is bubbling and the top is brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Book Club: If I Stay
If I Stay, written by Gayle Forman, is guaranteed to take you on a roller coaster of emotions. This book is one of a kind, and is a little bit too addicting. Once you start reading, you will not be able to put this beautifully written book down.
“Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?
Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it’s the only one that matters.
If I Stay is a heartachingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make.”
Quote of the Week
“Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.”