Hot Cross Bun and Butter Pudding
If you’re anything like me, your eyes were bigger than your stomach when stocking up on hot cross buns this Easter weekend. Never fear – this recipe utilises those leftover hot cross buns from fresh or alternatively you can fresh the hot cross buns and bring them out in a couple of months for a winter warmer. Make sure you find a baking dish that will snugly fit the 8 hot cross buns in it.
- 400mL thickened cream
- 400mL milk
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 hot cross buns
- Butter, to grease
- Icing sugar, to dust
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the thickened cream, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla together until combined
- Cut the hot cross buns horizontally into 3 slices, making a bottom, middle and top
- Grease base and sides of a 20cm x 30cm ovenproof dish. Place bottom of each hot cross bun over base of dish. Pour over 1/3 of the egg mixture. Repeat the process finishing with the tops of the hot cross buns. Then pour the remaining egg mixture into the dish.
- Let the pudding stand for 20 minutes before baking, to allow the egg mixture to soak into the buns.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Bake the pudding for 40 minutes or until browned lightly. Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar and with a little vanilla ice cream – yum!
Recipe thanks to Australian Women’s Weekly